Note: Cemerné is the village in Eastern Slovakia from which the John M Myerchin, Sr Family emigrated in early 1883....Tommy Schiller Myerchin Baby Book
Cemerné is an outer part of the town of Vranov nad Toplou in eastern Slovakia. Its population is about 3,000.
Vranov nad Toplou occupies the northwest bulge of the East-Slovakian Lowlands in the upper part of the region called Zemplín. It is the administrative, economical and culture centre of the Vranov district.
Janovik, the home of the Vanyos, is approx 25 km from Cemerne
Near cities to Vranov nad Topl'ou (Vranov nad Toplou)
* Humenné (Humenne) 17 km
* Preov (Presov) 34 km
* Koice (Kosice) 38 km
* Muszyna 76 km
* Levoãa (Levoca) 80 km
* Lesko guide 81 km
* Sanok 84 km
* Krosno 89 km
* Krosno Odrza_skie (Krosno Odrzanskie) 89 km
* Ustrzyki Dolne 90 km
Vranov nad Toplou flag
The Vranov coat-of-arms shows the lioness, but this figure is described in the heraldry as a lion, because the term lioness is reserved for the lion standing on three legs. It is not clear at the present time from where this symbol, so often used in the medieval heraldry and representing bravery and power, came. Incontestably it reminds the noble symbolism.
The town has been using the coat-of-arms with a lion for more than 350 years, although the form of the symbol and its colour have changed. Today the town uses the correct form of the municipal coat-of-arms and other symbols, which are described in the heraldry record.
Vranov nad Toplou (Hungarian: Varannó has 22.487 inhabitants (1990 census). The city was in Zemplén (in Slovakian Zemplin) County of Hungary till 1918/1920 (Czechoslovakian Occupation / Treaty of Trianon) István Molnár, 12 Jun 2000
Vranov nad Toplou District Seat
Population 23 063
Postal Code 093 01
Telephone Code 057
Wards Vranov n.T., âemerné
Area 31,10 km2
Above Sea Level 132 m
Geographical location 48° 50' of the north latitude 21°40' of the eastern longitude
First Evidence of the Town r. 1270
Slovakia is divided into 8 regions (kraj) and 79 districts (okres). There are 133 cities, which have swallowtailed flags. Other communities (towns, municipalities, villages) are generally known as 'obce' and are entitled to double-swallowtailed flags. An example of what can be done with it can be seen on the page devoted to Lamac (Malacky okres). All city flags can be reached through the kraj-pages and the okres-pages listed below.
History of the town Vranov nad Toplou
The town Vranov nad Toplou was originally a Slav settlement. The medieval settlement of Vranov was the part of the castle estate âiãva, which was given by the donation deed of the king Stephen to the nobleman Reynold in 1270. Because of the advantageous geographical position of the town situated on the important trading path leading from Preov, Vranov became an economical and social centre for the territory in the basin of two rivers, the Ondava and the Topla. Besides the local trade, handicraft production has been developed here, too.
The oldest written evidence of Vranov being as a town is the document of the King Sigismond from 1410. At the head of the municipal government founded then, were the mayor and the counselors. The town was given more municipal privileges (toll right, right to store the goods, right to hold an annual market) by the King Mathias in 1461, and the town was given the right to make out the written documents with the municipal seal. The figure of the King Stephen was on the first original seal. The heraldic coat-of-arms in its present form has been used since 1622. The first guilds were founded here in the 16th century. The guild of Vranov shoemakers is one of the oldest guilds in the whole Zemplín country. The Grammar School was founded in the town in the 16th century. The Peasant Revolt, also known as the Cholera Revolt with its revolutionaly character was hardly suppressed.
In the second half of the 19th century, Vranov became the centre of the region of 44 villages. At the end of the century there was a mass emigration. In 1903 Vranov was connected to the railway; electric lighting and the telephone were introduced in 1906. After the forming of Czechoslovakia, Vranov stayed a small agrarian and craft town. During the Second World War, some partisan groups were formed in the region, and the town became the centre of an anti-fascist revolt. The period after 1945 was the time of industrial development, building of housing estates and reconstruction of the town centre.
POINTS OF INTEREST
The Roman-Catholic Church of Virgin Mary
The Roman-Catholic Church of Virgin Mary's Birth was built in 1580 with the support of Stephen Bathory´s wife. Stephen Bathory was the sovereign of the town. From the architectural point of view, it is a late Gothic monumental sacral building . The church has a tall solid gothic tower. Nothing was preserved from the original Gothic interior. The present Baroque decoration of the interior is from the first half of the 18th century. At that time the Paulan Order started a large building reconstruction after the fire which had spread all over the town. New Baroque altars and pulpit were given to the church. Precious wood-carving works are from Jozef Hartman from Koice. The high barrel vaulting with lunettes was received in 1754 along with a splendid fresco decorations by the well known Czech Baroque painter, J.L. Kracker. Part of these fresco decorations and the interior were damaged by a fire in the 19th century. Only fragments of these frescos are preserved now. The church of Vranov has in its custody a very precious golden Baroque-Rococo liturgical set from the goldsmith Ján Silassy from Levoãa. Some conservation work of the main altar and rescue work of some frescos and paintings has been completed. There are two Classic tombs of noblemen of the town in the church garden.
Plastic Art of St. John of Nepomuk
Plastic Art of St. John of Nepomuk represents Virgin Maria with a Child sitting on the clouds and St.John of Nepomuk kneeling in front of them. The group of statues is Baroque, it comes from 1770. At the present time the town has the group of statues restored.
The Paulin's Monastery
The former Paulin's Monastery was built in the 17th century at the place of the original Franciscan Monastery. As in the case of the church, large building reconstruction was made after the fire in 1718 and the building has received the Baroque portal. There is a fresco of J.K.Kracker inside the building.
The Water Castle
The Water Castle was situated in the centre of the present town, at the place of Grammar School. This luxurious fortified seat was built about the 15th century by the family of Rozgony, who were the owners of the âiãva and Vranov. The seat doesn´t exist now but there are large rooms in the underground, which were explored during the building work at the Grammar School´s courtyard. The rooms are in two floors and are ended in barrel vaulting. There is no written evidence of the end of the residence in the documents. At its place there was built Classic country house by the family of Forgacs in the second half of the 18th century. The underground rooms were used as a basement.
The Greek-Catholic Church of Virgin Maria´s Assumption
The Greek-Catholic Church of Virgin Maria´s Assumption (situated in the town part âemerné) built in 1905-1910 in so called Hungarian Secession by architect E.Lechner is at the place of the former Baroque church. The tower placed before is in the top part decoratively divided by secession elements of the East-Slovak Renaissance and is ended in Byzanthian-Orient cupola. The interior of the church comes from the time of church´s building. Only one wooden pew and the painting of Virgin Maria´s Assumption in folk style are from the old Baroque Church, which was destroyed after 1903.
Majercin to Myerchin Holy Trinity Catholic Cemetery Tabor, MN Above, are the tombstones of Maria Schust Myerchin, Michael Myerchin and John M Myerchin, Sr. They are located in the Holy Trinity Catholic Cemetery, Tabor, Minnesota. Each stone represents the mother, son and father of the same family and each stone has a different spelling of the surname. Tabor, MN History Tabor,MN Centennial Tabor Church Centennials
Myerchin Family, Myerchin Family Histories Schiller Family, Schiller Family Histories, Index of Names About Site, Submit Data, Links, Contact Us, News